Jim Gay is a busy dad. A REALLY busy dad, with 4 kids.
He started thinking about switching from consulting to a product business so he could spend more time with his family…because he was tired of working endless, stressful hours to pay the bills.
He built a product - the obvious next step for most makers, right? He started to sell it to his consulting clients. But that’s where he got stuck. A story that sooooo many aspiring product-biz owners can relate to.
Then he took 30x500. Nothing changed for a while. Finally, two years later…
Jim created a new product and did $10,000 in launch sales in a weekend
At the time when Jim and I recorded our podcast interview below – nearly 3 months ago – he’d grossed over $60,000 in product revenue since he first launched book pre-sales.
The all-important question you’re probably asking:
What happened in between those two years? What changed between the failed, stuck attempt at selling a product and a successful 5 figure launch?
That’s exactly what Jim and I cover in this interview. This episode is the PERFECT complement for the tidying process that Amy and I talked about in episodes 6 and 7.
In case you missed those episodes, or need a refresher, one of the many things we talked about was how often people desperately hang on to work they’ve already done, even though it’s not getting them the results they want.
In THIS episode, you’ll find out:
- The specific motivations and goals that Jim had for launching a product business in the first place
- The mistakes he made with his original product attempt, and what he did differently the second time…including the “tidying” he needed to do
- How he built an audience of people who wanted to buy his products, even though nobody had ever heard of him before
- Some of Jim’s specific techniques for shipping ebombs that his audience loved
- The biggest mistake Jim made while creating his new product, one that almost cost him the win, and the emotional toll it took
- How he bounced back from that mistake and the step-by-step of how he executed his $10,000 launch weekend
- The biggest thing Jim continues to struggle with after launch, and how he’s trying to get better
Learn how Jim Gay stacked his first brick
If you wanna listen to this on your phone, you can add our Stacking Bricks podcast from iTunes and tune in to Episode #9.
Stacking the Bricks Podcast
EP9 - How to clear a path for product success
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Links mentioned in this episode
Start stacking your own bricks
Our no-bullshit, no-holds-barred, step-by-step startup class (30x500 Academy) is opening again soon.
The new version is a powerful update from what Jim used to create his product business. It’s the first version specifically designed to help you work at your own pace and on your own schedule.
Sign up below so we can send you an invite to grab your seat. At the special early bird price.
How do you make your first sale?
Follow our FREE roadmap from $0 to $10k and start your product business one small, achievable win at a time.Get the FREE Year of Hustle Roadmap!
Get the free guide now, use it to make your first $10k in product sales… and then keep hustling!
You’ll get you our epic PDF guide now, along with a free 4 week email course to help you get started on the right foot.