Stacking the Bricks Podcast
EP11 - "I just need someone to hold me accountable."
In this episode…
"I just need someone to hold me accountable." "If only there was a community where I could get advice…" "Let me tell you my plan…"
Have these phrases ever passed your lips? And then you failed to 1. execute your plan, 2. take action on the advice you received, or 3. be accountable?
I'm going to assume the answer is "Yes," because it's a mistake we've all made before. Although some of us longer than others.
I was always looking around for something that would make me do it.
And I learned: There's no such thing.
There is no force on earth that can make you do something. Really — nothing.
Even if a moustachio'd highwayman held you at gunpoint and demanded "YOUR LAUNCH DATE OR YOUR LIFE," you would still be choosing between consequences: Do I ship? Or do I take the bullet? You get to choose. You cannot be truly forced.
And why would you want to be, anyway? Why would you want to put yourself in that position?
Nobody does, not for long.
So you say you want "an accountability partner," and that lets the pressure off, and then… nothing gets done. No surprise there: you relied on the pressure, and then you let it escape. Accidentally on purpose.
This is a pattern I've seen over & over in myself, before I decided to get over it. And in the last 5 years I've seen it in so many of our students.
It's one of the core causes of failure and if you want to succeed, you need to address it.
To help you, I recorded a little Amy Productivity Psychology Story Time for you. I explain the why, the wherefores… and what to do about it.
All Stacking The Bricks Episodes
- EP29 - What are you optimizing for?
- EP28 - Double your Conversion Rate with Brennan Dunn
- EP27 - You can ship. But will anybody buy?
- EP26 - Don't wait 18 months
- EP25 - Features, or marketing? (Part 3 of a series)
- EP24 - Teamwork is harder than you think (Part 2 of a series)
- EP23 - "Everything will get easier if..." (Part 1 of a series)
- EP22 - How to make an offer they can't refuse (Outreach Masterclass with Kai Davis)
- EP21 - The most dangerous room in the house
- EP20 - Swift Kick in the Ass (Accountability)
- EP19 - A Swift Kick in the Ass (The Game of Business)
- EP18 - Our Profitable Mess (and how we're cleaning it up)
- EP17 - Kids Incorporated
- EP16 - How do you design products people love?
- EP15 - Why "Lambo Goals" never keep you motivated
- EP14 - What are your New Years Pants?
- EP13 - Justin Weiss's shift from side projects to successful product launches
- EP12 - "I'm shipping ebombs, now what?" - From Pain to Product with Nick Piegari
- EP11 - "I just need someone to hold me accountable."
- EP10 - Why do people worship the struggle of entrepreneurship? And how to avoid it.
- EP9 - How to clear a path for product success
- EP8 - From pain to product Masterclass with Amanda Thomas
- EP7 - Part two of "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP6 - "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP5 - The evil voicemail effect
- EP4 - Shipping is a skill
- EP3 - We didn't hit our 2014 goals. But...
- EP2 - Scott Hurff's first product launch was "wrong", but $50k later he knows it didn't matter.
- EP1 - How Pat Maddox went from 0 subscribers to over $3k MRR in 10 days