Stacking the Bricks Podcast
EP9 - How to clear a path for product success
In this episode…
Jim Gay is a busy dad. A REALLY busy dad, with 4 kids.
He really wanted a product business so he could spend more time with his family instead of working endless stressful hours to pay the bills.
But this episode isn't actually about making time at all...it's about clearing a path for success.
Do you remember the approach to tidying we talked about in episode 6 and 7? We learned that the path to a tidy home is deceptively simple...and part of the process involves letting go of things that are holding you back.
In this episode, 30x500 alum Jim Gay talks about going through exactly that process, and how hard but important it was to start his product business with a clear perspective.
You'll learn how he rebooted his approach, immersing himself in the community to learn what they care about most.
Jim did so many smart, strategic things to build his audience: from turning his most popular ebombs as talks for conferences, to being really intentional about the KINDS of blog posts he wrote in the first place. And he's done very well for himself - his launch weekend topped $10k and he's earned over $60,000 from his first product since the first beta release.
But Jim made some mistakes, too. One mistake in particular had big emotional costs in additional to delaying his financial success for over 2 years.
It's a mistake that Amy and I have seen countless people make, and we've even made ourselves. You're going to have to listen to see what that mistake was, and how he recovered from it, and how selling products is helping him achieve his goal...having more time to spend with his family.
Links mentioned in this episode
Interested in being part of our 30x500 Pioneers program? Sign up here and we'll send you details about the launch next week: http://30x500.com/pioneers
All Stacking The Bricks Episodes
- EP29 - What are you optimizing for?
- EP28 - Double your Conversion Rate with Brennan Dunn
- EP27 - You can ship. But will anybody buy?
- EP26 - Don't wait 18 months
- EP25 - Features, or marketing? (Part 3 of a series)
- EP24 - Teamwork is harder than you think (Part 2 of a series)
- EP23 - "Everything will get easier if..." (Part 1 of a series)
- EP22 - How to make an offer they can't refuse (Outreach Masterclass with Kai Davis)
- EP21 - The most dangerous room in the house
- EP20 - Swift Kick in the Ass (Accountability)
- EP19 - A Swift Kick in the Ass (The Game of Business)
- EP18 - Our Profitable Mess (and how we're cleaning it up)
- EP17 - Kids Incorporated
- EP16 - How do you design products people love?
- EP15 - Why "Lambo Goals" never keep you motivated
- EP14 - What are your New Years Pants?
- EP13 - Justin Weiss's shift from side projects to successful product launches
- EP12 - "I'm shipping ebombs, now what?" - From Pain to Product with Nick Piegari
- EP11 - "I just need someone to hold me accountable."
- EP10 - Why do people worship the struggle of entrepreneurship? And how to avoid it.
- EP9 - How to clear a path for product success
- EP8 - From pain to product Masterclass with Amanda Thomas
- EP7 - Part two of "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP6 - "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP5 - The evil voicemail effect
- EP4 - Shipping is a skill
- EP3 - We didn't hit our 2014 goals. But...
- EP2 - Scott Hurff's first product launch was "wrong", but $50k later he knows it didn't matter.
- EP1 - How Pat Maddox went from 0 subscribers to over $3k MRR in 10 days