Stacking the Bricks Podcast
EP15 - Why "Lambo Goals" never keep you motivated
Friday, January 29, 2016
In this episode…
Hey brick stackers, Amy here.
Last time we talked about resolutions (which are easy). Now let's talk about motivation (which is hard).
Realtalk: How many times have you started a project with a burst of motivation and dream and then it just… fizzled out? Not with a bang, but with a whimper?
(Or dreamt about it and planned it, but never started it?)
Believe me, I'm not wielding the Scepter of Snooty Judgment here. I used to be a total creative flake. My Someday Maybe file was so thick it could have served as furniture. I started everything and finished nothing.
I sure felt motivated… but it didn't last.
I dreamt about riches and acclaim… but they weren't enough to get me off my ass. Much less keep me there.
My life was littered with undone projects and frankly, it felt like shit.
Obviously in 2008, this all changed — I designed, co-developed and shipped my first app (after literally years of telling myself "I should build a SaaS"). Then followed a technical book. Then workshops. Then conf calls. Then this class. Then conferences. And another book.
What made the difference? The right motivation.
The right motivation is a fire under your ass, not a Happy Place you retreat to in your mind when things are hard.
The right motivation is enduring, meaningful, and personal — and often times, painful.
Here's what the right motivation is not:
- fantasies of acclaim
- fantasies of riches and luxury
- fantasies of retiring early to a Mojito Island
They're fun, but actually destructive to your ability to keep going.
Why? Why can't these shiny Lamborghini Goals keep you going?
Listen to the latest episode of Stacking the Bricks to find out!
All Stacking The Bricks Episodes
- EP29 - What are you optimizing for?
- EP28 - Double your Conversion Rate with Brennan Dunn
- EP27 - You can ship. But will anybody buy?
- EP26 - Don't wait 18 months
- EP25 - Features, or marketing? (Part 3 of a series)
- EP24 - Teamwork is harder than you think (Part 2 of a series)
- EP23 - "Everything will get easier if..." (Part 1 of a series)
- EP22 - How to make an offer they can't refuse (Outreach Masterclass with Kai Davis)
- EP21 - The most dangerous room in the house
- EP20 - Swift Kick in the Ass (Accountability)
- EP19 - A Swift Kick in the Ass (The Game of Business)
- EP18 - Our Profitable Mess (and how we're cleaning it up)
- EP17 - Kids Incorporated
- EP16 - How do you design products people love?
- EP15 - Why "Lambo Goals" never keep you motivated
- EP14 - What are your New Years Pants?
- EP13 - Justin Weiss's shift from side projects to successful product launches
- EP12 - "I'm shipping ebombs, now what?" - From Pain to Product with Nick Piegari
- EP11 - "I just need someone to hold me accountable."
- EP10 - Why do people worship the struggle of entrepreneurship? And how to avoid it.
- EP9 - How to clear a path for product success
- EP8 - From pain to product Masterclass with Amanda Thomas
- EP7 - Part two of "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP6 - "The Life-changing Magic of Shipping"
- EP5 - The evil voicemail effect
- EP4 - Shipping is a skill
- EP3 - We didn't hit our 2014 goals. But...
- EP2 - Scott Hurff's first product launch was "wrong", but $50k later he knows it didn't matter.
- EP1 - How Pat Maddox went from 0 subscribers to over $3k MRR in 10 days